Mission: The present-day focus of the Iowa Veterans Home–to provide professionally managed healthcare for aging veterans–began to emerge in 1890’s with construction of the first infirmary. Six years later, a larger infirmary was built to satisfy the Home’s increasing resident/patient population. Throughout the years, the Veterans Home continued to update the physical plan and provide the necessary clinical expertise to meet the ever-increasing healthcare needs for individuals admitted for care.
Location: Marshalltown (32.9 miles from Grinnell College)
- One to One Visits with an IVH resident: Providing support, friendship, and encouragement while going for a stroll, talking, reading, writing letters, playing games, getting a snack at the Canteen, or going to the Library to check out a book or DVD.
- Escorting residents: Taking residents to Chapel services or to their scheduled workshops in arts & crafts or on-campus recreational activities and events (bingo games, dances, musical performances and special meals), and off-grounds recreation such as trips (athletic events, the zoo, museums, Botanical Center, IMAX Theater and shopping).
- Library Volunteer: Assists the operation of our library by helping patrons find and check out books and other items, as well as checking in materials and straightening shelves.
- Gift Shop Assistant: Assisting gift shop staff by helping customers, handling sales, operating cash register, and restocking shelves.
- Volunteen: Teen/School aged volunteers who come in after school from 4-6pm. Volunteen takes a cart around to the units offering residents puzzle books, pens, pencils, prepackaged snacks, cards, and brief visits.
- One-time events: yes
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? yes
When is service needed: Year-round
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
- In-person: yes
Background check required: yes
Equipment or logistics supplied: You will receive a volunteer handbook, name tag, and parking permit.
How to apply: Apply on line at https://ivh.iowa.gov/donate-or-volunteer/volunteer. The Volunteer Service Coordinator will call you to set up an interview. You will be asked to bring 2-3 personal references to the interview. You will need to sign the background check and dependent abuse check at the interview. You will need to clear both of these checks before volunteering with our residents. Once cleared, you will be scheduled for the new volunteer orientation.
Contact: Laurel Degelau, 641-753-4405, firstname.lastname@example.org
Operation information: The Iowa Veterans Home provides a continuum of care to Iowa’s veterans and their spouses in an environment focusing on individualized services to enhance their quality of life. We’re one of the largest state veterans homes in the nation and provide services to over 550 Iowa veterans at a time. We are fifth in the nation for size of State Veterans Homes. Our campus spans over 150 acres.
Address: 1301 Summit Street, Marshalltown, IA 50158-5485
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners