Mission: Our mission is to strengthen our community by connecting people with ideas and the tools they need to enrich their lives. Our vision is to create a stronger, more dynamic Des Moines where everyone’s potential is realized. Our initiatives are to increase information and digital literacy, become a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization, and to expand reach to underserved populations through outreach and partnerships.
Location: Des Moines (47.7 miles from Grinnell College)
- Assist library staff by shelving materials requested by our patrons. The quicker we get them on the shelf, the quicker our patrons can take them home!
- Support library book sales by helping staff sort and arrange items for sale.
- Organize information in a variety of ways. We occasionally need help with sorting, filing, and data entry.
- Help people practice their English skills at our “Conversations and Coffee” programs.
- Help library staff at special events, including Authors Visiting in Des Moines (AViD) live events. Volunteers greet and guide patrons to program areas, assist with the program, and help library staff before and after the program as needed.
- Inspire summer reading by helping children and teens register for the Summer Reading program.
Volunteers: on-going service needs
When is service needed: year-round
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
Modality: in-person only
Background check required: yes
How to apply: At the website: https://www.dmpl.org/connect/support-the-library/volunteer
Contact: Ashley Molzen, Community Engagement Supervisor, 515.283.4155, firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: 1000 Grand Avenue| Des Moines, IA | 50309
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners