Mission: Community Support for Immigrants (CoSI) promotes a welcoming, respectful and safe environment for international persons living or working in Grinnell as they seek to adjust to new surroundings in the United States.
Location: Grinnell (0.2 miles from Grinnell College)
Needs: Check in for on-going needs: pre-pandemic we held English conversation sessions for people wanting to improve their English.
- We have several immigrant families that periodically need various help.
- We plan physical donation drives (at Drake Library for example), to help Des Moines immigrants settle in new homes (hundreds of Afghanis and soon Ukrainians).
- In the past, a group of Grinnell College students made and sold cake pops for our money donation drive.
- Another group through the Catholic charity went to Des Moines and equipped several new homes, with plans to do more (this was on their own working with groups that we also work for)
- One-time events: yes
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? yes
When is service needed: year-round
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
- In-person: Yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: Yes
- Fully virtual possible: No
Training supplied: There is need for some discussion about working with immigrants, regarding confidentiality, cultural sensitivities, etc.
How to apply: Via the volunteer sign-up form at Volunteer – Community Support for Immigrants (cosi-iowa.org). Any questions, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Operation information: Community volunteers work alongside international persons to develop equality of rights and opportunities in the social, economic, cultural, religious, and political life of Grinnell. CoSI has developed a “Preparedness Plan in the Event of Immigration Enforcement” to ensure the most effective allocation of humanitarian resources for the maximum benefit and dignity of immigrant families who may be affected by workplace, home, or public venue immigration enforcement activity.
Address: First Presbyterian Church, 1025 5th Ave, Grinnell, IA 50112
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners