Mission: Practical Farmers of Iowa is an inclusive organization representing a diversity of farmers. Farmers in our network raise corn and soybeans, hay, livestock large and small, horticultural crops from fruits and vegetables to cut flowers and herbs, and more. Our members have conventional and organic systems; employ diverse management practices; run operations of all sizes; and come from a range of backgrounds. These farmers come together, however, because they believe in nature as the model for agriculture and they are committed to moving their operations toward sustainability.
Location: Main office in Ames (64 miles from Grinnell College)
Needs: Practical Farmers frequently needs help in our Ames office or setting up for events across Iowa. Volunteering with Practical Farmers of Iowa is a great way to experience life at a fast-paced sustainable agriculture nonprofit while helping achieve our mission. You will meet our friendly and knowledgeable staff and most likely will also get some delicious local food and our heartfelt gratitude!
- Assist with large mailings. Multiple times a year we send out member solicitation and fundraising campaigns. We typically need 4-6 people to fold, stuff envelopes, seal, and stamp.
- Data input. We keep logs of field day sign-ins, evaluations and any other feedback we receive.
- Filing. From time to time we get backlogged on our filing. We still keep paper trails on all of our members and donors.
- Publications. We have a backlog of publications that need to be filed and need research reports printed and compiled. Photo tagging. We have a large database of photos that need to be tagged. We have them arranged by events and dates but need more descriptive terms added to the photos.
- Annual Conference. It takes many volunteers to run our 800+ attended annual conference. We need bell ringers, attendance takers, help with lunch, silent auction, childcare, exhibitors, and many other roles.
- One-time events: Yes, for one-time events (annual conference in January in Ames)
- Groups possible?
When is service needed: We enlist many volunteers for our annual conference, held in January in Ames, IA
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
Prerequisites: Experience is helpful but not required.
Equipment/logistics needed: Some travel may be required.
Training supplied: On-the-job training will be provided as needed.
Equipment or logistics supplied: Most resources are provided for work to be done.
How to apply: Apply by contacting us via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Debra Boekholder, 515-232-5661, email@example.com
Operation information: We commit to inviting and welcoming everyone by: Building relationships with farmers and aspiring farmers facing barriers of any kind, and providing support to address those barriers, Intentionally uplifting farmers and aspiring farmers of color, both within PFI and the agricultural communities in which we live and work, Collaborating with people and organizations in Iowa and across the Midwest, in all sectors, who can help us invite, welcome and support everyone, Establishing and maintaining a welcoming workplace, Evaluating our progress frequently, as this important work must be impactful and ongoing
Address: 1615 Golden Aspen Dr Suite 101 Ames, IA 50010
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners