Mission: Mission: Empowering Voters. Defending Democracy. Vision: We envision a democracy where every person has the desire, the right, the knowledge and the confidence to participate. Value: The League believes in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy. The Grinnell, IA chapter of LWV is a nonpartisan political organization which encourages informed and active participation in government.
Location: Grinnell (1 miles from Grinnell College)
- Help with voter registration and follow up (mailing to appropriate county supervisor), educational events at the community college and various regional high schools including Grinnell and Brooklyn-Guernsey-Malcom High Schools, meeting with government classes.
- Assistance needed at special events such as candidate forums for state house and senate positions as well as for local elections (in partnership with the Grinnell Chamber of Commerce), educational forums on upcoming amendments (2022 proposed 2nd Amendment) and outreach and promotion to increase attendance at these events.
- Future goals are task forces to support making voting easily accessible for all, on ways to engage the local LWV group (ex., an Observer Corps to attend local civic meetings).
- On a state level, providing info to the League of Women Voters State Board on area candidate info for the new vote411.org website.
- One-time events: yes
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? no
When is service needed: Throughout the year, fall can be especially a time of need with many events and voter registration.
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or as little as is possible for the volunteer
- In-person: yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: yes
- Fully virtual possible: no
Background check required: no
Training supplied: Voter registration training, any other training as appropriate for the event
Equipment or logistics supplied: LWV provides any needed supplies.
How to apply: Apply by emailing either Terese Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ivy Schuster at email@example.com
Contact: Terese Grant or Ivy Schuster, Co-Presidents:
641.990.4684, firstname.lastname@example.org (Terese Grant)
or email@example.com (Ivy Schuster)
Operation information: Registering voters is a critical component for Local Leagues who register hundreds of new voters annually. Work with League voter registration activities, make calls to members, attend naturalization ceremonies and register new citizens to vote, observe with League Observation Corps activities, attend League educational meetings and legislative forums.
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners