Mission: Our mission is to advocate for the equity of Latinx immigrants in Iowa and empower their communities through education and various types of civic engagement to lessen any barriers to their full participation in the greater Iowa community. Every person has the opportunity to Education, Empowerment and Culture his/her fullest potential and participate in and contribute to their Community.
Location: Des Moines (52 miles from Grinnell College)
- Volunteer support for our many programs: English, citizenship, and computer literacy courses.
- Legal aid and coordination with our volunteer lawyer.
- Financial counseling for navigating buying a home or opening a business, and offering guidance on how to be alert to and avoid scammers that prey on the vulnerable.
- We currently have no grant writer.
- We need assistance preparing a fundraising campaign to raise funds for helping immigrants apply for citizenship (application fees run $735/per person).
- Help needed with special events like the Day of the Dead celebration (in collaboration with Des Moines Public library) and Dia de Reyes.
- Planning and running monthly COVID vaccine clinics.
- Website/SEO, newsletter, blogwriting, and podcasting, videography and photography assistance, as well as general marketing and outreach.
- Our office is very bare, we have no artwork on the walls – artists and creative minds would be wonderful!
- We have part-time AmeriCorps positions that come available, please inquire if you are interested.
Volunteers: on-going service needs
When is service needed: Anytime is welcome
Number of hours: Flexible hours, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
Modality: in-person only
Prerequisites: Must speak Spanish.
Background check required: no
Equipment/logistics needed: It depends on what the volunteer(s) will be doing.
Training supplied: If the volunteer is going to teach a class we will have a program.
Equipment or logistics supplied: We have an office in Des Moines with classrooms.
How to apply: Contact Jose Alvarado by email at email@example.com
Contact: Jose Alvarado, 515-421-6773, firstname.lastname@example.org
Operation information: Here at Latinx Immigrants of Iowa, we know that sometimes all it takes to change the world is a little support. Since our founding in 2016, which began with immigrant rights rallies, we have been determined to make an impact. The core of our efforts is to bring our Latinx community fresh ideas and passion to the range of activities we’re involved in. Through all of our endeavors we hope to display the conviction behind our beliefs. We are profoundly grateful for the work we have accomplished thus far in educating and assisting the Latinx community, in unifying families with visa and citizenship assistance, in establishing collaborations with Hy-Vee and Walgreens as the first Latinx organization to assist with Covid vaccinations, as well as the strong relationships we have created with all our community partners, yet the need for more education and support is great!
Address: 800 Euclid Ave Des Moines, IA 50313
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners