Mission: IC Compassion is a Christ centered organization that engages culturally diverse communities together through hope, opportunities and partnerships. Together we equip people at their point of need to move out of poverty and inspire them to be of service to others.
Location: Iowa City (70 miles from Grinnell College)
Needs: We are always looking for volunteers to assist with our English tutoring. We have used interns in our immigration work and with case management with refugee/immigrant families. We also have mental health counseling where we have used students. Our new programs include community gardening and Jabez cafe, and a trainee facility for young immigrants who have disabilities.
- Assistance with walk-in support to help clients fill out paperwork, read mail, fill out applications, create resumes, and make phone calls.
- Providing one-on-one ESL or computer tutoring, workshops on nutrition, personal finance, cultural nuances and more.
- Immigration legal support and citizenship classes.
- Food assistance by way of a Wednesday evening community meal and a food pantry.
- One-time events: no
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? Groups are welcome
When is service needed: year-round
Number of hours: 1-2 hours a week
- In-person: yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: yes
- Fully virtual possible: yes
Prerequisites: All new volunteers must attend an orientation. Orientation takes place in our office the second Tuesday of each month from 6-7PM. No pre-registration is required.
Background check required: no
How to apply: Contact by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Teresa Stecker, 319.330.9883, email@example.com
Operation information: In 2006, IC Compassion was established as a faith-based 501c3 non-profit organization. With awareness of the need for low cost legal immigration services in our community, in 2011, IC Compassion became recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). Teresa Stecker became its first accredited representative providing legal immigration assistance with clients in Johnson County and surrounding counties including Cedar, Linn, Iowa, Muscatine, Washington and Scott.
Address: 1035 Wade St Iowa City, IA 52240
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners