Website: Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity – Home
Mission: We are a tax-exempt nonprofit housing organization that has served Southeast Iowa for 25 years. Locally, we operate in Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, and Washington counties, and globally we support Habitat for Humanity International’s efforts to build in 70 countries. Because decent shelter in decent communities should be a matter of action for all, we bring people together to build, rehabilitate and maintain safe, decent and affordable homes. We also advocate for fair housing policies. We invite you to join us as we build up strength, stability, and self-reliance through shelter.
Location: Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, and Washington Counties
Needs: Volunteers are the backbone of Habitat for Humanity. We simply could not build and renovate safe, decent, and affordable homes or have a successful ReStore without you. Volunteers also support our work by advocating for policy change, providing food to volunteers, or serving on a committee.
- Our ReStore is a new kind of home improvement store that sells donated furniture, household appliances, and hardware to the public at low costs. Store proceeds support our affordable housing programs. As a ReStore volunteer, you will help our staff with small projects, unloading donations, or cruising the corridor collecting donations in the ReStore box truck.
- We rely on volunteers to help us build. The work you do at the construction site is not ceremonial. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty, and sweat a little. Together we have also been able to build ramps for people with disabilities and make improvements to the safety of existing homes so that more people can remain self-reliant in their own home.
- There is no shortage of volunteer opportunities at Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity. Whatever your passion or skill set, you can join us. Do you enjoy photography, music, or preparing food? Are you an artist, horticulturalist, or a technology master? Together we can lend our individual gifts to strengthen our community.
- One-time events: yes
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? yes
When is service needed: year-round
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
- In-person: Yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: No
- Fully virtual possible: No
- You must attend a one-hour New ReStore Volunteer Orientation before volunteering at the ReStore. Plan on arriving at the ReStore (2401 Scott Blvd. SE in Iowa City) at the beginning of your shift to get debriefed by a staff member. You may bring a lunch and use our volunteer lounge.
- For construction, no experience is required. We will provide you with the tools and instruction you need to complete your assigned tasks.
Equipment or logistics supplied: Bring along your willing attitude and we will provide you with all of the tools and training you need!
How to apply: Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org today. On-going calendar for volunteer needs: https://build.iowavalleyhabitat.org/volunteer_calendar
Contact: Leda Rouse, email@example.com
Operation information: Founded by a small group of committed volunteers in 1992, we exist to serve low-income residents of Cedar, Iowa, Johnson, and Washington Counties. After two years of work, we were proud to build our first home in 1994. To date, we have supported more than 150 families working to improve their living situations. We currently have a staff of 13 dedicated people who work diligently to improve access to affordable housing. We were excited to celebrate our 25th anniversary in 2017.
Address: 2401 Scott Blvd. SE in Iowa City
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners