Mission: We provide the services our children need to level the playing field while empowering them and their immigrant families through athletic play, education, dance and song. We embrace the many languages of our community while building solid grounds where their play will become the work that changes the world. Our shared experiences drive us to support and inspire children whose obstacles often prevent them from success. We seek to remove those barriers and drive opportunity for children every day, through athletic play, education, dance and song.
Location: Des Moines (55 miles from Grinnell College)
Needs: Interested in volunteering with Genesis Youth Foundation but not sure the best way to get involved? Let’s start a conversation.
- Academic Volunteers will support the lead teacher with maintaining student engagement and on task behavior, and answer student specific questions in a small group setting. Volunteers will assist with homework help and tutoring.
- The Sewing Volunteer Project Assistant will support 3-4 students who are working on a sewing project assigned by the program director. Volunteers will assist in teaching basic sewing skills and crafting.
- We need cooking assistance during the week as our youth programming includes a meal.
- Genesis Soccer Coaches will be working with players who are very passionate and love the game of soccer and who need your help the most. Coaches will assist in teaching basic soccer skills and prepare students for games.
- Genesis provides students without reliable transportation the opportunity to attend after-school programs. Van Drivers assist in giving rides to students to and from the Genesis Center during the week.
- We offer Adult Education programming, with education in finances, speaking English, and basic computer skills.
- Our summer program includes Ubuntu leadership training and tutoring, and pre-college or workplace preparation.
- We host special events such as our donor appreciation dinner in the fall.
- One-time events: yes
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? yes, small groups are welcome for special programming days, and larger groups may be needed for special events, please contact us!
When is service needed: year-round
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer. Youth programming is 5:30 to 7:30pm on Tuesdays (elementary age), Wednesdays (middle school), and Fridays (high school) and includes help with school work, an enrichment activity, and a meal. Soccer practices are Mondays and Thursdays from 5:30 to 7:30, with an additional practice for ages 4 to 10 on Fridays from 6 to 7.
- In-person: yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: yes
- Fully virtual possible: yes, please contact us to explore opportunities
Prerequisites: Volunteers assisting with driving vans need proof of insurance.
Background check required: yes
Equipment/logistics needed: If something that Genesis doesn’t have is needed, we would coordinate this with the volunteer.
Vehicle needed: No, we supply a van for child transportation.
Training supplied: Training on the mission of Genesis as well as whatever is needed for the volunteer role. Van drivers will receive training and practice on the route.
Equipment or logistics supplied: Anything needed is supplied.
How to apply: https://app.workmap.ai/#/forms/4885/vt8pmgypcxi3fq84u2a2lr11m6mw34pz
Contact: Jordan Jenkins, firstname.lastname@example.org
Main office phone: 515.343.0149 Soccer phone: 515-723-8134
Operation information: Athletics, arts programs, academics, Ubuntu technology, Ubuntu leadership, and Ubuntu Adult Programs, and family engagement
Address: 2500 University Avenue Des Moines, IA 50311
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners