Mission: Through peer-based recovery support services, we offer emotional, informational, and practical supports to individuals and families who are affected by substance use. We envision a culture where self-directed recovery is visible, accessible to all, and embraced by the community.
Location: Des Moines (59 miles from Grinnell College) (also Sioux City and Council Bluffs)
Needs: Service is a recovery pathway for many people. If you’d like to support others in recovery and help our centers thrive, we would love to have you as a volunteer! If you have a passion for our mission and a particular skill set you would like to offer or pursue that we have not brought up in our needs below, please contact us.
- Data mining (for grant support, policy advocacy, public education)
- Developing 6-8 week curriculums on various recovery support related topics, such as Boundaries, Relationships, etc.
- Fundraising projects for a cell phone fund or Uber/Transportation fund
- Transporting clients to appointments Contingency management, aiding clients in hitting certain goals/benchmarks
- Advocacy needed around laws about paraphenalia and the benefits of harm reduction, restrictions on clean syringe distribution, Fentanyl test strips are currently illegal in Iowa
- Ongoing: yes
- Groups possible? yes, especially for planning and implementing fundraising events
When is service needed: Year-round
Number of hours: Flexible, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
- In-person: yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: yes
- Fully virtual possible: yes, possibly
Prerequisites: A lived experience with mental health and/or substance abuse, whether personal or within your family
Training supplied: Training is supplied depending on the service activity, for example, Recovery Coach training
Equipment or logistics supplied: Anything needed is supplied
How to apply: Contact Jeremy Orcutt at email@example.com or 515.783.6382
Contact: Jeremy Orcutt, Director of Program and Services, Anawim Housing, 515.783.6382, firstname.lastname@example.org
Operation information: Our trained staff and volunteer Recovery Coaches provide strengths-based support to people seeking or already in recovery from an addiction. In early 2022, Anawim Housing and The Beacon, two non-profits based in Des Moines, collaborated to establish Full Circle Recovery Community Center with grant funding from the Iowa Department of Public Health. A Recovery Community Center (RCC) is an independent nonprofit organization led by representatives of local communities in recovery that provides peer-based recovery support services, public education, and policy advocacy. Full Circle RCC is not a treatment center; we offer emotional, informational and practical supports for individuals and families affected by substance use.
Address: 1750 48th Street, Suite 101A Des Moines, IA 50310
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners