Mission: DREAM Iowa’s mission is to stimulate and carry forward the gradual shift from generational poverty to generational wealth for immigrant Iowans. DREAM Iowa’s vision is to convert Iowa into the epicenter for immigrant success.
Location: Des Moines (53 miles from Grinnell College)
Needs: Event planning. This can start a couple of weeks before the actual event in which we work on communicating with our sphere of influence on the logistics of our upcoming event. During the event, we need help setting up and tearing down, while making everyone at the event feel welcome!
- One-time events: yes
- Ongoing: yes, in preparation for specific events
When is service needed:
- Annual Banquet: May/April
- Dancing For Scholars: Usually a day in the summer
- Youth Leadership Summit: Late October/Early November
Number of hours: Flexible hours, as much or little as is possible for the volunteer
- In-person: yes
- Hybrid in-person/virtual possible: no
- Fully virtual possible: no
Background check required: yes
Equipment/logistics needed: We would just need the volunteers to bring their laptops whenever they volunteer.
Training supplied: We will be sending each person the information about our office.
How to apply: Email email@example.com
Contact: Nicole Cea, 641-229-1419, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth Leadership Summit -DREAM Iowa unites immigrant youth from across the state once a year to empower with knowledge, skill development, civic engagement, and strategy for growth. This yearly summit offers updates on immigration policy and shares the pathways for leadership and involvement. This leadership summit showcases the aggregate voices of the youth. Talented individuals share their life and business experience to a captive audience of hungry bilingual learners. Panelists and speakers demonstrate essential skills to grow into leadership roles. We plan to grow this program to include Youth Leadership Conferences that will occur throughout local communities, and all will unite at the annual Youth Leadership Summit.
- Financial Education for Immigrants – DREAM Iowa collaborates with local community partners in order to bring interactive & bilingual financial seminars to towns across Iowa. Locally trusted immigrant leaders co-facilitate the seminars. We teach financial education ranging from basic banking services, money management, credit, loans, mortgages, financial planning, and everything in between. We offer this education in the language spoken by the immigrant group in order to increase learning ability. The information is presented by immigrants with experiences similar to the community in order to maintain a culturally competent curriculum.
- Scholarships for Hope fund – The DREAM Iowa Scholarship was established in 2018 and is proudly granted by DREAM Iowa Inc (501c3). This scholarship is to provide monetary support directly to immigrant students pursuing higher education. DREAM Iowa produces videos to document the immigrant experience in Iowa. The topics covered range from personal stories of overcoming adversity, highlighting immigrant contributions, covers cases of detention and raids, informational videos, and empowerment videos. Tune in to La Que Buena 106.9FM for our 1hr weekly show about helpful information and tools for immigrants that can be easily accessed and distributed through social media.
Address: 1433 E 14th St, Des Moines, IA 50316
If you are with this organization and need to update your listing, please access our update form on this page: For Community Partners